Northumberland farm could be demolished to make way for motorway extension

Martin Beale said he had been left in limbo after waiting over nine-years for a decision to be made

Chris Brayford
clock • 1 min read
Charlton Mires Farm has been in the same family since 1904 and could be demolished should the Government give the go-ahead to a motorway extension (Martin Beal)
Image:

Charlton Mires Farm has been in the same family since 1904 and could be demolished should the Government give the go-ahead to a motorway extension (Martin Beal)

A farm in Northumberland which has been in the same family for nearly 120 years could soon be demolished should the Government grant plans to extend a motorway junction. Martin Beal said his farm, Charlton...

To continue reading...

Already a member? Login for full access.

Login

New to Farmers Guardian? Register for 1 free article per week or become a member for unlimited access to essential farming news and insights.

article-img-580x358

 

More on Farm Life

Farming passion helped beef farmer secure Miss Manchester title

Farming passion helped beef farmer secure Miss Manchester title

Clare Hopwood plans to use her Miss Manchester title to educate people about farming, while reducing stigmas around mental health and women’s role in the sector

Mia Willemsen
clock 17 August 2026 • 3 min read
The King's nephew heads for future farm career

The King's nephew heads for future farm career

James, Earl of Wessex, is set to attend the Royal Agricultural University in Cirencester after receiving A-Level results

Jane Thynne
clock 16 August 2026 • 2 min read
NFU Mutual Charitable Trust delivers over £420,000 to rural causes in first round of donations

NFU Mutual Charitable Trust delivers over £420,000 to rural causes in first round of donations

Applications for the NFU Mutual Charitable Trust’s December round of donations are now open, closing October 9

Mia Willemsen
clock 15 August 2026 • 3 min read